Monday, December 12, 2011

Help me with ideas for a Southern Belle Wedding!?

Hi,


I am not from the South but I have always loved the Southern Belle image and I really want to plan my wedding Southern style but, I have no idea how to do this! What kinds of colors should it be based around, what type of wedding dress do I need, and what season/date should it be in? Any help and advice on this would be wonderful!


Thank you!|||A bridal gown %26amp; bride's maid's gowns in a style reminiscent of antebellum ball gowns





Picture hats





Parasols that match the outfits (maids can wear corsages or wrist corsages)





Bouquet in a victorian style with hothouse roses or go 'exotic' with gardenias....star lillies would also work.





I would do late spring or early summer.





select colors that reflect the season you marry in.





it's what I did for my first marriage (1974-I married in June %26amp; used roses. My colors were pale blue %26amp; pale yellow) My gown looked exactly like the green floral dress that Scarlet O'Hara wore to the BBQ in the beginning of the movie, only mine was solid white. My picture hat had no veil %26amp; was covered with the same material as the gown. I carried a bouquet of white, yellow %26amp; blue hothouse roses, victorian style. The attendants wore dresses that were a scaled down version of mine. The MOH %26amp; flower girl wore a pastel blue rose print...my maids wore a pastel yellow rose print. they wore matching picture hats and carried matching parasols %26amp; wrist corsages.





my ex MIL was from Arkansas...she LOVED it lol.|||The first two things that came to my mind is serving sweet tea and mint juleps. I also see a hoop-skirted dress with a long sash of a dominate color. Definitely magnolias as flowers (if you did this, the dark green color of the leaves would be beautiful as one of your colors). Have the wedding at a plantation or anywhere that has a beautiful porch/entrance with columns.





Azaleas would be a second choice for flowers, and they come in a variety of pink/red shades. The season you choose is up to you, but I would suggest early spring, especially if you want an outdoor wedding. I've been to a very Southern wedding, and the bride and groom were married on the porch while the guests were seated in the front lawn. Food stations were placed across the expansive lawn, and the cake was served inside the plantation home.





Watch the movie Steel Magnolias, and you will get some other ideas for a fun southern wedding. The movie was filmed 20 mins. from my home.|||Pearl necklaces for all the bridesmaids, light but bright colors, lots of daisies and begonias.





I am from the south, but one of my best firends married a man from pennsylvania and they got married here in alabama. She really played up the southern part for him and his family and friends and it turned out GORGEOUS! They got married on a beautiful plantation with a huge barn out back (made for great wedding pics). Outside, lanterns were hanging from all the huge oak trees and used light pinks and yellows and greens for her colors.





She had paisley patterned wedding programs with "welcome ya'll" on the front. Her bridesmades wore simple knee length black dresses with pearl necklaces. She had her dress cutom made. It was simple and elegant, no lace or sparkles or anything like that.





For food she served every southern item you can imagine: Fried chicken, macaroni and cheese, shrimp and grits, barbecue, key lime pie, red velvet cake, sweet tea and lemonade.





It was hands down the most gorgeous and fun wedding I have attended yet.|||I'm from Louisiana, so i can help you with a bit of this.





-Traditional southern belle colors would be white, powder blue, or a cornflower yellow.





-Search for a type of dress that is poofy on the bottom and incorporates some ruffles.





-The season doesn't matter. It is whatever is best for you. The spring time is usually best especially if you are having an outdoor venue since it won't be too hot or too cold.





-Food wise, a nice buffet that serves Jambalaya, Gumbo, Fried chicken, dirty rice, mashed potatoes, green beans and red beans, sausage, and for dessert have powdered beingets served with coffee would be nice since these are traditional southern foods.|||I am from the South and I can help. The main thing you need is a daddy that you adore. He will pay for the wedding, he will host the guests in a charming fashion, he will walk you down the aisle, he will cry during the service, and if any of the groomsmen drink too much he will squelch them without saying a word.


Your dress will be modest and simple. Otherwise, costuming, colors, seasons, dates are all optional.|||Hmm I wouldn't go too overboard since you are not living in the south. Perhaps A big poofy wedding dress, getting married in the spring near a magnolia tree. Have a blue grass band playing. Get married in spring or summer, maybe have your bridesmaids wear the cute little southern belle hats with the extra-poofy dresses. Have food typical in the south at your wedding i,.e(peach cobbler pie) Your dress could be in the style of this dress: http://www.weddingo.co.uk/wp-content/upl鈥?/a>





Use Scarlette O'hara as your inspiration!|||neutral tones, all the colors everyone is saying are very tacky. go with goldish, ivory, beige tones.





answer mine plz:


http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;鈥?/a>|||Spring with lots and lots of big beautiful pink flowers.





Random idea... but I think wearing the southern bell hat with the veil attached could be cute... dont forget the wrist length gloves :)





Good ol southern cooking :)|||Seriously - watch Gone With The Wind. That movie has a great variety of styles, formal parties to observe and decorations to get ideas from.

No comments:

Post a Comment