Thursday, December 8, 2011

Referring to my dependent relative who claimed himself instead of allowing me.?

Wondering how much I would benefit if he amended his taxes that shows he claimed himself to one that shows I can claim him. I am a single parent %26amp; have not filed yet.


My gross pay = 37,395. Fed Tx withheld =5146.31. SS tx withheld=2477.67. Medicare tx withheld = 579.00. NC State tx withheld=2273.


My bank's Combined Tax Statement (interest income) for '08 = 2,711


Purchased home on 9-19-08 for 164,000. Pd 79,195.00 down. Should get homeowners credit for 7,500.00.Mortage Interest pd=1319.00. Points paid = 2583.00. Homeowner's insurance=753.00. Title fee=346. Excise Tx for purchase= 329.00. Attorney's fee= 500.00





Have 4300. in a Roth IRA (none taken out).


Have 10,000 in Money Market for emergency only.





Deductions for myself and younger college son: Medical = 1713.00


I'm claiming my college son as a dependent. I should be "head of household" as I was last year.


College tuition / books 1142.00


My older son (age 28) is the one who filed %26amp; claimed himself %26amp; got a small refund with what little bit he made %26amp; blew it all. He has lived with me since his near fatal car accident in 2007 %26amp; and has lived with me all of 2008. I supported him 100% and paid ALL his expenses /debts/ even those in collections. I wanted to claim him for 2008 taxes but he filed, claimed himsef and collected his refund. His medical expenses I paid for in 2008 (that could have been deducted) was 8,218.00. I believe I could get about 3400.00 tax credit for each of my two sons.


I feel I lost a lot of money by him claiming himself but would like an idea. I really counted on that refund to pay property taxes, ext. Please estimate what my refund would have been if if I could have claimed him vs what I'll get if I can't. I'm going to talk with my acc't soon, but would like to work something out with my son before hand. He doesn't believe anything I say. Will it be worthwhile (based on data i gave) to have his tax status amended so I can claim him ? He is still recovering from brain damage and mental illness but not considered disabled so we can't be too harsh on him.





Thanks for any advice...........dotherightthing


ssherry3@suddenlink.net|||Unless your older son can be claimed as disabled (which may the the case) if he earned more than $3,500 in 2008 you cannot claim him as a dependent.





If you can claim him as disabled then his income does not matter. As long as he lived in your home for more than 6 months and didn't provide more than half of his OWN support, you can claim him under the Qualifying Child rule.





In either case -- less than $3,500 income but not disabled or any income and disabled -- if you can claim him he cannot claim his personal exemption and will have to file an amended return. This isn't a "pick and choose" issue; the facts at hand and the law make the call.|||In order for you to claim him,he can not have earned $3500 or more.


since he lived with you all year and he did not provide over half of his own support,you meet the other qualifications. I am giving you a link that will give you a good estimate on the effects of claiming him on your return. If you meet all of the qualifications including the income test. That he did not earn $3500 or more





http://hrblock.com/taxes/tax_calculators鈥?/a>











Christine EA Master Tax Advisor





This advice was prepared based on our understanding of the tax law in effect at the time it was written as it applies to the facts that you provided.





http://www.hrblock.com/tax_professionals鈥?/a>|||How much did your older son make for the year? If his gross income was over $3500 you can't claim him, even if you provided all of his support.





You'd get maybe $1300 if you could claim him, between the exemption and the extra deductions for part of his medical costs. That's if you itemize - and you only get benefit from the amount of your itemized deductions that are over $7000. Not sure where you figure the $3400. For your younger son either for that matter - you'd save around $510 in tax from his exemption, and another few hundred at best from his other expenses

No comments:

Post a Comment